Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Trident: KRAKEN A.M.S. CASE FOR APPLE IPAD MINI 1/2 {A Review}


Trident Case sent us the KRAKEN A.M.S. CASE FOR APPLE IPAD MINI 1/2 ($59.95) for all ages to review.



First Thoughts

iPad mini's are thin, light weight (about 3/4 of a lb), and expensive. We just got our iPad mini a couple of weeks ago and I didn't let the kids so much as breathe near it until we put a cover on it. I wouldn't suggest anyone get an iPad mini without being sure to have something to protect it.



KRAKEN A.M.S. CASE FOR APPLE IPAD MINI 1/2
The case has been military tested MIL-STD-810F (and now homeschool tested). Which means it is approved to be used for military environments that include: Drop, Vibration, Dust, Sand, and Rain~military, not our homeschool. We totally didn't test those on purpose.



It has a silicone inner layer for shock absorption, a hardened polycarbonate exterior casing, a built-in screen protector, silicone plugs and dust filters, and double-thick silicone corners. It weighs just under a 1/2lb.



The case can be used with a stand, holder, windshield mount, bike mount, headrest mount, and hand strap among others.



It comes in black, blue, grey, pink, red, trident green, and white. Ours is grey.


How we use our iPad mini & the Case
We use our mini for school all of the time. It is our wifi, star gazer, camera, internet access, video player and recorder. Little hands are always using it. Nothing is safe from dropage or spillage.



Well, I wanted to share how the case protected the mini when it was dropped, but I didn't actually want to drop it. 

Have no fear. Ceesa dropped it for us. It was sitting on the back of the sofa and was kicked off. And...everything still works properly. Although it fell on the hardwood floor, the mini was protected and the cover wasn't damaged in the process.

We've not spilled anything on it yet, so nothing to report there.



Our Thoughts
Our grey case has a very masculine look to it. The snaps on the side are indented and remind me of screws. The grey color even has a metal appearance to me. I imagine in another color, it would have a very different look. I'm not partial to a masculine or feminine looking iPad mini, but some folks may have a preference. :) 

I had a really hard time getting the volume button cover unstuck. It was constantly pushing the volume button down. So the volume box was perpetually on the screen. I had to wait on Poppa to fix it because no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get it on properly. With his fancy maneuvering, he fixed it quite easily.

I've found that sometimes when I want to adjust the volume, it does it properly and other times it turns off what I'm listening to even after it is sitting on the iPad mini properly.



I also had trouble with the plug for the earphones. It has a small tab for easy opening and I consistently hit it. I'm not sure if it is the way I hold the iPad mini or if it is the tab in general. That was more annoying to me than anything, and definitely not performance based.

I'm very glad it has the built in screen protector. That is a must for us. However, I really struggle with getting the protector on without dust particles or other fragments of lint or hair underneath. It seems the static holds it on even after I wipe it clean. I may be a bit compulsive, but I really don't want anything under there...I will stare at it the whole time.

And now I feel rather inept; after laying out my user errors for you. :)



It is made in the US, which is something to brag about. And really the kids jumped up and down when they saw that sticker on the box. They are always hunting for things made in the US. :)

The cover has not been scratched and that is something I would have been concerned about.



Wishlist
I'd really like to have bumpers along the sides, not just the corners. That way whatever the mini hits will be protected, too. If that is something that you're interested in, there are other cases to check out for the mini 1/2 that have different designs.



Recommendation
If you are in need of a cover for one of your devices, you should take a look at the website. They have cases and accessories for tablets, smartphones, and eReaders. You can even build your own case. 

Wishing you homeschool blessings,


  Connect with us:


 
Click here to read more reviews from Schoolhouse Review Crew.
 


Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

All the Seasons Adventure Printable Pack

Subscribe to our newsletter & receive All the Seasons Adventure packet with a bonus Christmas ideas page!

    We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at anytime.
    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...