Friday, July 26, 2013

Global Art: Activities, Projects, and Inventions from Around the World {A Review}


 photo gr_zps4f060fb6.jpg

About the Book

Global Art: Activities, Projects, and Inventions from Around the World is a 189 page paperback book filled with collage, painting, drawing, printing, construction, sculpture, and more to teach children about the art of cultures around the world. 
 photo GH_18827_zps7156a47e.jpg


Each project has the name of the art activity, the place of origin, the location on the globe, Did you Know? facts, the materials required, the process involved in completing the project, and drawn pictures of the globe and each of the projects. 



Jo-Jo designed her t-shirt story design to represent
the highlight of the day-going to Grandpa's to fly rockets.

The projects are broken up into place categories: Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Europe, North America, Oceania (Australia and South Pacific), and South America. 



Ceesa enjoyed making her paper and has plans
of cutting it into a heart shape because she 
 says it is her favorite shape.




How we Used the Book

We used the ideas in the book as independent lead, interest based art projects. If you are using it this way, I would recommend it for ages 8 through 12. However, if you would like to do the projects with your child, you could start at a much younger age. 


Our splatter paint project was more difficult then I thought.
Ceesa didn't quite understand my directions for how to use the toothbrush.


Since we are on summer break, I let the girls spend sometime looking at the art projects. Once they looked through the book. I gave them sticky notes to mark the projects they thought would be fun. Once we had a collection of projects, I had them choose which project to get started with and helped them gather the materials they needed. Then I stood back and started taking pictures. Some projects I would lend a hand with when they needed me.



This just may be my favorite project.
I had a large pot outdoors that sits in intense heat.
I can never get anything to grow in it, except weeds.
With a little work on Ceesa's part she made a mini-garden
that the sun can't burn out.

We spent time discussing each project, where we could find it on the map or globe, who we've studied that was from that area, and we talked about what we knew of the place (landforms in the area, climate, people, products, etc.).




Jo-Jo used nearly every ribbon in the box to decorate
this explore style hat we had in the dress-up box.

How it Worked
Both of the girls love art projects, so it was easy to get them motivated and to have them get started working on each project.


Ceesa and I both worked on this project.
If I were to do it over again, I would use less
clay and make a smaller box.

Ceesa says that she liked the Japanese garden the best. "I love going to see the Japanese garden (at an arboretum that we visit several times a year) and now I get to have one of my own."



Jo-Jo used some of the rosemaling design
and added a bit of her own flair to her chest.

Jo-Jo liked the ribbon hat because..."It was so pretty." She also noted, "I like to paint. I learned about rosemaling." 


Jo-Jo's secret message is I love you.
She made it from beads.
Her seal was a round button and triangle button.

Recommendation
This would be a great book for anyone that has children that love art projects or those interested in extending their child's knowledge of a culture through art.

Wishing you homeschool blessings,

 
Click here to read more reviews from Schoolhouse Review Crew.







 photo DisclaimerGraphic1_zpsf612f371.gif

No comments:

All the Seasons Adventure Printable Pack

Subscribe to our newsletter & receive All the Seasons Adventure packet with a bonus Christmas ideas page!

    We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at anytime.
    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...