As children start to move into beginning chapter books, there are several strategies that you can encourage them to use.
• Use word analysis (breaking words into parts to determine what those parts mean) to solve complex words.
• Check what is read with what makes sense.
• Read a variety of texts (poetry, non-fiction, fiction, short stories, etc.).
• Sustain interest and fluency on longer texts-easily coming back to a text after set aside for a short time.
• Read silently.
• Use a variety of word of strategies (look at familiar parts, consider the context, find words that you know in bigger words)when attempting an unknown word.
Wishing you homeschool blessings,