Monday, November 21, 2011

Puffball Mushroom

Earlier in the fall,
we found these
gigantic, puffball mushrooms.

Well, the little fellow actually found them.
He picked one up,
saying, "Ball, ball!"
Then he chucked it.

After thoroughly washing his hands,
we took some pictures
and set out to try to identify it.

I believe that it is a purple-spotted puffball mushroom.
PLEASE DO NOT EAT ANY MUSHROOMS THAT YOU FIND WITHOUT CONSULTING
A PROFESSIONAL, WHICH I AM NOT. :)


The purple-spotted mushroom is edible and is eaten fried.
They do not have gills and look...
well...
like little guys said,
like a ball.

There are other types of puffballs that are edible,
but there are poisonous look alikes, too.

This is a terrific mushroom site with the dangerous look alikes.

Have you had any adventures with mushrooms?
learning laboratory at mama smiles
Wishing you homeschool blessings,
Bethany


2 comments:

MaryAnne said...

Those are some BIG mushrooms!!! Did it explode when your little guy threw it?

Thanks for linking up to Learning Laboratory at Mama Smiles! =)

Bethany said...

No, they didn't explode.
They were totally solid. You'd think they'd just go up in smoke or something, but it just rolled.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...