- Phonemic Awarness-sounds in words
- Phonics-Correspondence between print and sounds
- Fluency-Phrased, expressive reading
- Comprension-Meaning-making and understanding
- Vocabulary-Terms and meaning
A balence of these is critical for learning to read. Some children learn to develop these on their own, but it is much harder.
If you plan on purchasing a program to teach reading, check to see if all of these things are covered. If not, you may wish to supplement.
We have found that we are able to cover these on our own without purchasing a thing.